Making a chessboard

I have been doing a lot of house projects lately. Maybe too many. I don't think I've had much time to get into my workshop and do some woodworking. At least I can rest easy knowing that all the fascia and soffit boards are nice and new as well as the gutters!

Even though I haven't had much time to work on some new projects, I did manage to squeeze in enough time to make a nice maple and mahogany chessboard. I decided to make it into a box so that I can just easily store the pieces and clock inside it.




I'm not into turning, so I didn't make the chess pieces. That's not something I think I'd want to get myself into. I think if I was going to do it again though, I might dress it up with some inlay or maybe some decorative, but simple, carving around the edge. I'm using some embedded rare earth magnets as the means to keep the lid in place and right where I want it. Checkmate!

Comments

JMCraftworks said…
Beautiful chessboard !
Michael D. said…
Thanks!

I think I'm going to make another one with an inlay around the outer board squares and inside the edging around it. I think it'll make it stand out a little more without being too "over the top".

Popular Posts